Amazing Race
Season 1 of this planet's coolest competition has been playing on Game Show Network over the last 10 days. The premise of the show is a literal race around the world (and believe me when I say literal - a pet peeve is a misuse of the word literal.) Eleven pairs set off from a common starting point and travel the globe, performing obscure tasks involving crucial decisions, all with strenuous mental and physical exertion. At the end of each leg of the race, the team coming in last to a designated pit stop is eliminated. The teams are then released after a mandatory rest period of 12 hours after their own team's arrival. This keeps them in the rank they arrived, but there are such equalizers as airports, transportation trouble, and simply poor judgment.
And through it all is the beauty of human drama. Limits are pushed as individuals criticize, depend on, cheer, discourage, congratulate, and disappoint their partners. As my mom and I have been watching religiously, three of our favorite teams remain in the top four. The culturally insensitive embarassments to America have thankfully been removed from the competition, and I anticipate the coming final legs of the race with the hope that the winners will make us all proud.
It's a silly diversion, in the global scheme of things, but I can appreciate the experience and race organization. I'd love to compete (but must be 21 to qualify). Undoubtedly I'd choose to partner with my culturally aware, mentally capable, and physically fit brother. I think our dynamics would work exceptionally well, and we'd be crazy fun to watch.

For now, my leg of the race involves the rest of a hard-working summer before a pit stop in Portland for school, and then onto Who-knows-where indefinitely. This life is a far more amazing race than a reality show, don't you think?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home