Thursday, June 23, 2005

Home to Me




I've been home from college for over a month at this point, and somehow, oddly, it doesn't seem like it's been that long. Over 90% of my free time has been spent with immediate or virtually-immediate family. And I'm enjoying it. Absolutely. There are several strange things about that - one of which is the reality of three adults living under the same roof and cohabitating in peaceful harmony. I mean sure there can be conflict and tension, but I'm scratching my head trying to come up with it. Secondly, most 20 year-olds would feel pretty lame spending their evenings and weekends with their parents, but I'm having a blast.

My parents, good ol' Skip and Treas, are more and more like friends to me each day - but friends who take care of me, foot the bill most of the time, and even (shhh) tuck me in on occasion. They express unconditional love and have proven it in word and deed to an extent that I didn't know or hope was reasonable. And maybe it's not reasonable, but it's real.

Brian Cheney wrote a song to his parents, and while the lyrics are his own, I feel 'im on this big time. So, Ken & Aimee, or Mom & Pop, this little blog guy is a tribute to you. This world is a waiting room, but as long as I'm aching to be in my heavenly home, YOU are home to me here. You've taught me Jesus, you've taught me grace, no matter how much I thought I failed you - there's always been love.


Home To Me
I remember quiet evenings, when you would tuck me in my bed.
And you would read to me of Snoopy and Peter Pan.
Then we would lie there in the moonlight, and I would listen to your heart.
I would try to keep the rhythm for when we were apart.
You are home to me along this road I'm wandering.
I think I finally see: you are home.
You have always been my teachers, you taught me how to read and write.
But so much more, you taught the difference from wrong and right.
And did you know you taught me Jesus when you would give yourself away?
And when you wrapped your arms around me, you taught me grace.
You are home to me along this road I'm wandering.
I think I finally see... you are home.
And you would say the words "I love you." I think I heard them every day.
And even when I thought I'd failed you, the words still came.
You are home to me along this road I'm wandering.
I think I finally see... you are home.

3 Comments:

At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a virtually-immediate family? Is that kinda like virtual reality?

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Missy said...

Yeah dude. I was actually thinking of Geoff as my virtually immediate family. But you can be, too, Tom.

You're a winner, chief!

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

w0rd to your motha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home