Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Part That Makes Me Happy

Every day, I have a 40+ minute commute each direction. My job is worth it - this first week with a few students has gone well, and starting Monday I'll pick up a full load of students in varying programs at varying degrees. It's grueling, intense, demanding, and rewarding work, so I deal with the drive each morning and evening.

One part of the trek that I greatly enjoy each weekday is a 1.5-mile stretch on the way home from work. This is when I take 85S to 87N and stay on 87 for a mile until I reach my exit, Capitol Expwy. That freeway interchange is just about the funnest overpass in the world. Call me crazy, but I've always thought of fwy-to-fwy ramps as roller coasters. They take you super high in the air, way above all other traffic, at an angle, on a curve, and generally allow you to remain at cruising speed. So fun! Anyway, regardless the emotion or exhaustion of the day, 85 to 87 always elicits a smile that remains till I make it to Capitol. That's a good part of the drive.

And today when I reached Capitol, something else made me happy. A childcare center is just off that freeway exit, and as I passed it, a man rode out the driveway on a motorcycle, merging directly in front of me. On the back of his bike, helmet-clad and clinging securely, was a young boy, maybe 7 years old. The cool young dad (I'm guessing) drove with one hand while wrapping his other arm firmly around the boy behind him. Dangerous? Sure. Adorable? definitely.

Enough about me. To read an intriguing blog about transportation Malta-style, click here and check out Ben and Jess's latest blurb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home