Monday, May 23, 2005

Monday Chapel with Missy

Tomorrow morning I have the opportunity to speak at a chapel for 3rd-5th graders at a Christian school. There will be around 200 kids, many from God-fearing families, many whose families enroll them for the academic rigor alone. What do you say to 200 ten-year olds? (Probably the same thing you'd say to one 2000 year-old... or maybe not)
I've been thinking through that this weekend, toying with some different thoughts. If the group were a bit older, say a jr-high crowd, I'd love to 'get real' with them about some real life stuff. But these are 9-11 yr-old tweeners. I've coached and babysat at this level but never spoken at chapel. However, I do have personal experience to fall back on - it was, after all, only 9 years ago that I was 11, and 11 years ago that I was 9. Handy how that works, eh?
So we'll be talking about choices. For a while the topic was going to be respect - for others and self - but it turned into "choices" as I sat down to type up some notes. These little dudes are gearing up for some crucial formative years, and with less than 15 minutes to impart my sagacious words to them, I think the best I can offer is a little advice about choices. Breakdown of the main points: choices can make or break you; bad choices can't make God stop loving you; 3 good responses to bad circumstances.
And it's only 1am the night before. Sigh.

3 Comments:

At 4:04 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

Hey! How did your talk go? That's exciting that you were able to have this opportunity. I am stoked to hear how it went. Love ya and miss ya.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger David Tieche said...

You should talk about the dangers of the heresy of trans-substantiation.

That'll grip 'em.

I'm not even sure I spelled that right.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger David Tieche said...

You should talk about the dangers of the heresy of trans-substantiation.

That'll grip 'em.

I'm not even sure I spelled that right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home