In Praise of "So, you're going to Malta?"
My brilliant brother recently posted a blog entitled "So, you're going to Malta?" (http://benjvm.blogspot.com)
And now, if I may, big bro, my spin:
Where are they going? Malta.
Where's that? Near Sicily.
Are you sad they're leaving? Yes, but excited for them.
Is it a missions trip? They won't be building houses or teaching about Jonah & the Cup, but God has placed it on their hearts to live in Malta and encourage fellow believers.
Oh. Where did you say Malta was?
Or for a taste of a conversation even more frequent in my life:
So, what's your major? Greek.
Oh, what do you plan to do with that? Eat feta.
I'm still wondering whether it's understandable curiosity, polite courtesy, or downright nosiness that fuels the "predictable questions" tank. I really like that "oh" at the end; it can function either as an indicator of genuine interest or as a big sign saying "I'm no less unaware of relevant information that I was 20 seconds ago." Wouldn't it be wonderful to really change it up once in a while?
Where's Malta? Near Cleveland.
Why are they going? To start a window-washing cult.
What do you plan to do with Greek? Formulate biochemical warfare targeting Jack Russell Terriers.
Oh.


2 Comments:
Where's Malta? In my pocket.
Why are you going? Because you never can tell.
Are you excited? More like contraindicated.
What are you going to do? Etch poetic grafitti in the armpits of ancient statues of children using a metal toothpick and a sledgehammer.
All aboard the crazy train! Woo woo!
dogs in willow glen are being poisoned...that thing about the jack russell terriers make me suspicious, missy....
hmmmmm.....
oh.
Post a Comment
<< Home