Familial Ruminations
Last weekend, my sister-in-law and her husband came to visit me. Haha...
Since I live away from home, this was a special treat. We spent our 3 days hitting up the town, eating out, sleeping in, and laughing. We laughed a lot.
There's something about family.
Or maybe there's just something about my family. This afternoon I called my dad with a question I had regarding RNA and ribozymes (biology midterm!) Though it's been more than 25 years since Dad formally studied this, his explanation was clear, succinct, and instantaneous.
And then there's Mom. The woman is a librarian - a profession which might suggest stuffiness or shyness. Yeah. Right. Just give her a tennis racket, ping pong paddle, or enchilada sauce, and she expertly puts the competition to shame. (Except for maybe Dad. That's a tough race right there. He's got a mean backspin.)
My brother, who is undoubtedly the most respectable, genuine young man of the common era, wisely highlighted members of his/our family bit by bit. I, however, want to throw out this one simple thought:
My family, and those who are family in my heart (such as my brother's in-laws), is the most amazing group of people and not a day goes by that I am not awestruck with the blessing of being associated with them. Unconditional love is manifested to me in their words, prayer for me, and open arms. Wonderful emotional security allows me to let my guard down and really laugh - or really cry - with any one of them.
And I am blessed.
Dad sneezes a lot. Often when I was growing up, the following took place:
Dad: *SNEEZE, SNEEZE, SNEEZE*
me: God bless you, Pop!
Dad: He did. He gave me you.
I feel the same way.


1 Comments:
How true it is that you are blessed with such a wonderful family. Not only did I gain a son-in-law but a second daughter. you are the one who blesses everyone :o)
Post a Comment
<< Home