Thursday, February 17, 2005

Pioneers? Wycliffe? New Tribes? Impact Basque?

A fantastic yearly occurrence here in Portland is the joint Missions Conference put together by MBC and Central Bible. This week is the 2005 conference and it's going spendidly. Yesterday, I took the opportunity to tour the displays arranged by representatives of myriad organizations. In the 75 minutes I spent perusing the information offered, I conversed with only 3 representatives. Our conversations were filled with questions, scenarios, potential plans, and brochures. Lots of brochures.

Something nagged at the back of my mind as I meandered away from a 20 minute conversation with two large Wycliffe men to a humble Pioneers display manned by a casual dude in a folding chair. I wanted to figure out some kind of structure within all these organizations. Here are these grandiose parachurch names who have been around for hundreds of years and shelter dozens of offspring organizations under their tried-and-true umbrella. Right next to them are culture-specific, modest, laid-back groups that meet small needs and do behind the scenes networking. How does it all jive? I wanted it all to work together. I wanted to see unity and feared I was facing competition.

As I spoke with these reps, however, I was gratefully proven wrong. My "new friends" - Brad, Edith, Russell, Gerald, Mike, Gwen - understand what it means to be a missionary with a sales pitch. I never felt guilt tripped; none tried to prove why their mission statement or methods were better than that other guy's; here were believers from multiple denominations excited to "hand off" a college student to a place that might utilize her eagerness better. I gained an appreciation for these people and places where before I had been skeptical, and that's a good thing. I like to see Christians representing Christianity rather than Western culture.

What about me? Not sure. The organizations I've tossed out have caught my attention, but I'm in no place emotionally or spiritually at the moment to be making big life plans. My hope is that the Lord directs my education and training as long as I'm here so that it's appropriate for when He sends and where He chooses. Maybe this summer I'll be an intern stateside with Impact Basque, or maybe I'll work my butt off so I can finish school and go, or finish undergrad and bump it up a notch. Who knows? Not me. And that's okay. I think.

Or maybe I'll head to Jordan independently and hope I don't get caught in crossfire before I have the chance to start a tuberculosis sanatorium. (I can hear my parents: What are they teaching those kids??) It's all good, guys.

I think.

2 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger BenandJess said...

Awesome! I especially like the way you put the sentence, "I like to see Christians representing Christianity rather than Western culture." You know I totally agree.

You also know that I know exactly where you're coming from as far as the possibilities in missions work. You know you want to spend your life serving God regarding missions, but exactly how and with whom is hard to pin down. I've been flabergasted (oh mother!) at how God has guided me since I've set my heart on missions work. For years I was overly anxious, wanting to get out there, get to work, and do miracles. But He's guided me so gently and faithfully on His time schedule. I didn't realize how much tempering, training, and maturing He wanted to do first. And I'm pretty sure there's more of each still to come. I'm still nervous wondering how it will turn out - whether I'll make any difference, whether I'll see miracles, whether the work He has for me is the work I dream of doing - but I'm confident that He's guiding me. I figure if He hasn't given up on me yet, then there's no reason to think He ever will :) And I think it's awesome that you've already found that level of trust in His providential guidance in your sophmore year. You go girl!

And if you really wanna freak out mom and dad, I could post something on my own blog about our real dreams of martyrdom.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i concur with what both miss and ben have said, and let me just say that even though i don't sense the Lord calling me to full-time mission service i still get SO excited to see the passion and excitement that exudes from those who do have that calling. i may not be on the field serving with you, but i am totally cheering you on while praying for you and possibly supporting you!:) I love missions conference!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home