Friday, September 09, 2005

Pineapple Upside-Down Greek

Maybe I was a little over the line. Just a little.

Here's the thing -- third year Greek begins with a deep study of the five-case system. To keep your reading pleasure at its maximum, I will refrain from painting a picture of what this study looks like. It's detailed; let's leave it at that.

As dearly as I love language theory, many of the processes I'm applying are frustrating to me because I fail to see the practical value. Try as I might, I cannot discern the actual benefit (whether interpretive, exegetical, or even linguistic) of categorizing in such exhausting detail. This is not helpful. I can grasp it, but I cannot appreciate it.

So on Tuesday, I asked my professor (respectfully) about this. We discussed (respectfully) in the classroom the possible pros and cons of this particular exercise. An excerpt from our conversation:

Prof: This will help you to understand passages that might not otherwise be transparent. If you select examples that are transparent to you personally, it will help you grasp the idea.

Missy: I understand that and I agree. What I'm not seeing is the overarching value of this exercise itself. Yes it's helpful that we choose our own examples when categorizing, but why categorize at all?

Prof: Doing this will help you get from Point A to Point B. How else will you get there?

Missy: If I'm struggling to get from Point A to Point B, this process doesn't make it any simpler. We're categorizing what's already translated, aren't we?

Prof: Yes, but this helps you understand why you translate it as such.

Missy: While not helping to actually translate it?

Prof: No, but you have to understand how to get from one place to another.

Does anyone else sense a total lack of closure to the debate? I came to conclude quickly that I'm trying to cross a river, if you will, and being handed a pineapple. I don't want a pineapple. Pineapples don't help people cross rivers. Please don't make me eat a pineapple.

A few minutes later in class, we came across a peculiar form of verb in a sentence in which we were examining another verb. I asked about the peculiar one and why it was in its form. The prof assured us, "just because it is, in this case."

To which I smartly replied, "Why don't we make up a category for that one, too?"

Oof. I hate it when I do that.

Thankfully, my prof laughed and promised that there certainly is a category for that, and we'd get to it later. I love Greek. This weekend is going to be an amazing all-school retreat in the middle of the Eastern Oregon Desert, at a beautiful Young Life facility. I think my little brain (and heart) could use the rest.

4 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger Divine Wind said...

Professors that only want to get through their meticulously planned exercises for the day, and don't really expect or desire debate. Go figure.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger BenandJess said...

Oh, how I totally know what you mean! I had a Prof who was a major pain in the neck in the same kind of way (no offense to Missy's prof, in the event that he/she ever reads this). In my third year I had finally made it to Into to Phonology. For those of you out there in Internet Land who didn't get the memo that studying languages is next to godliness: Phonology is basically the study of the varieties and characteristics of the sounds of languages. What was so annoying is that most all of the excercises we worked with were completely obvious to solve, but the prof insisted that we outline each step of the process in an anal, I mean, scientific way, as though we were the first linguist to be visiting some stone age tribe and were forced to document everything for the preservation of the culture as required by the linguistic community and demanded by our eccentric, billionaire financier! Whoa, sorry. Got a little carried away there. To make a long story short, she was one of the most annoying profs I've ever had... butshewasalsothebestteacherinthedepartmentandsoIdecidedtotakeanothercoursewithhernextsemesterandphonologyturnedouttobemyfavoritebranchoflinguistics.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Missy said...

In defense of my prof:

he's actually a fantastic teacher. Not just in the arena of being a leading scholar in the subject, but in his patience and communication with peon students. Though we disagree on the value of such tedious exercises (as beautifully expressed by my big bro here), I could hardly respect him more as a professor. He welcomes challenge and debate, but not in a "go ahead, TRY to prove me wrong" kind of attitude, but one of those genuine "I desire your highest possible intellectual capacity to be met" way. Can't beat that, really.

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I debated with my professors like that. But I think... in order to do that... I need to start going to class. Go figure. On second thought, debating isn't as important to me as slacking off. Why, oh why must I be lazy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home